Preventing problems before they occur will give you more enjoyment from your sparkling clear spa – not to mention the perfect environment for relaxing with family and friends.
Heating & Heat Loss, How your pool can be an eco friendly pool
- Reduce heat loss by using a pool cover. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, savings of 50% – 70% are possible.
- Fencing, hedges, landscaping, and cabanas that shelter your pool from prevailing winds will further reduce heat loss.
- If your pool heater is more than five years old, chances are a new high efficiency gas heater could quickly pay for itself in utility bill savings.
- A pool heat pump can save up to 80% in energy usage compared to a gas heater. Check with your pool professional to see if a heat pump is appropriate for your region.
- If you use your pool only on weekends, reduce your heater or heat pump thermostats settings by eight to ten degrees during the week.
- When leaving for vacation for more than a week, turn off the pool heater or heat pump, including the pilot light. Please use caution in freezing conditions.
- According to the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals and the Red Cross, the most healthful swimming temperature is 78 degrees. Reducing your heater or heat pump thermostat to maintain a 78 degree or lower temperature will also help conserve energy.
- Install a timer or a control system to automate the hours of operation.
- When reopening your pool, make sure your heater or heat pump is working properly.
Check out www.earthday.ca webiste for a full listing of event details in and around your local neaborhoods.
Recently purchase a Pentair Water Pool and Spa®, Pentair Pool Products®, or Sta-Rite® product? Don’t forget to submit your product warranty registration card: http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/warranty/
The pollen season is off to an early start in many areas of the country. Skim-Mor is an excellent way of keeping the pollen from clogging your filter. It will also absorb grease and oils like suntan lotion! Click the link below for more details. http://www.bioguard.com/Our_Products/Water_Enhancers/Skim_Mor®
Is the weather warming up sooner than expected in your part of the country? Avoid, and save time and money: open early this year! (CA)
IDS12 – Interior Design Show
Write 2 reviews about any contractors you’ve hired – good or bad – and earn a FREE Ticket to IDS12 – Toronto’s Interior Design Show – (valued at $22 !) on Sat & Sun Jan 28 & 29th at the Metro Convention Centre. You will be emailed a link to get your free ticket.
Visit the link below to learn how to get started, and don’t forget to write one about Gib-San!
Here’s what you have to do (click to get started): http://homestars.com/contests/free-ticket-to-ids12-toronto-s-interior-design-show-in-toronto-canada-starting-jan-18-2012
We want to hear what you got to say, visit us on Homestars today and write us a review!
HomeStars offers a free service for homeowners to find reputable renovators, repairmen and retailers by searching its database of almost 2 million companies. Homeowners write reviews based on their home improvement experiences – both good and bad. This builds a collective knowledge base that is invaluable in helping homeowners make better decisions on whom to hire. The Homestars forum allows homeowners to dialogue with each other, ask questions, help others and tell their stories.
Reputation matters. We see the value in your feedback, and in turn can work harder at being better!
When cleaning your pool, there are several different types of pool filters to consider. The two most commonly used are cartridge filters and sand filters.
A cartridge is a large paper filter that sits in your filter system, and is the easiest to clean. To maintain the cartridge, you remove the filter from your system to power wash (with light pressure) and soak in Filter Brite cleaning solution. The filter should be soaked overnight in Filter Brite before putting it back in. We typically suggest cleaning your cartridge filter two times a season. First at the beginning of the season, a few weeks after you’ve opened your pool to trap any pollun. Clean your filter again at the end of the swimming season before putting it away. Your filter should run at peak performance, helping your pool stay clear.
A sand filter uses silica sand to filter out the unwanted. To clean, put diluted Filter Brite cleaning solution through your pump. Like cleaning a cartridge, let the solution soak overnight, which should restore the sand’s effectiveness to about 90%. Gib-San suggests that you clean the sand at the end of each season (or at the beginning if you haven’t done it before). This method is a little more involved and over time it will lose its effectiveness (as the sharp sand edges become dull). With that said, instead of getting around 7 years of sand filter life, cleaning it can extend that to around 13 years.
If you have any questions about filter cleaning, feel free to call us (416-231-9699) or pay us a visit at our retail store (711 Kipling Ave).
Posted in Retail, Service
Tagged backyard design, cartridge filter, custom concrete pool, designing spaces, filter cleaning, gib-san pools, ontario pool design, pool filter, sand filter, toronto backyard designers, toronto pools
A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Remove the pool cover and clean before storing. (Types of covers: Mesh, Solid)
2. Fill the pool.
• Bring the water level up to the middle of the skimmer
• Remove any large pieces of debris (leaves and sticks) with a leaf net
3. Check the pump, filter, skimmer and automatic chlorinator.
• Ensure all mechanical equipment is clean and functional
• Check skimmer basket for cracks
• Use Filter Brite to ensure your filter will operate efficiently (chemicals will be less effective with poor filter performance)
4. Add the BioGuard Pool Opening Kit and run the pool for 48 hours.
5. Test the water. Check your test reagent or test strips to ensure they are not outdated.
• Bring a sample in for free water analysis at the store
6. Add the recommended required chemicals to ensure the water is safe, clean and balanced.
7. Plan out your routine maintenance schedule using the recommendations for your type of sanitizer system.
• Ask about the BioGuard 15 minute Workweek Program to see if it is appropriate for your pool
8. Enjoy your backyard living and remember, we are here to help you!
Visit us in-store (711 Kipling Ave.) or call us ( 416-231-9699) with any questions!